La Clínica de La Raza is a host site for BAYAC AmeriCorps members. Our BAYAC AmeriCorps members serve as health educators across 8 school-based health centers in Oakland, San Lorenzo, and San Leandro. They provide individual health coaching with patients, and facilitate peer health education programs.
Mission & Vision
La Clínica’s School-Based Health Centers provide culturally responsive medical, mental health, dental, and health education services to youth regardless of insurance status or ability to pay. La Clínica de La Raza’s School-Based Health Departments serves patients ages 3-24. The mission of La Clínica’s AmeriCorps Health Program is to provide young people with high quality, youth friendly, and culturally appropriate health education, and to be a pipeline for careers in public health, community health, and youth development.
The AmeriCorps Health Educator provides individual, classroom, and campus-wide health education and health coaching services. While serving at the school-based health centers, the members will provide:
- Campus outreach to encourage students to access services offered by the health center
- Facilitate the Peer Health Education/Youth Wellness Advisory Board using the Youth Participatory Action Research (YPAR) curriculum
- Lead healthy cooking demonstrations with young people
- Make classroom presentations regarding health center services and various health topics including sexuality and nutrition
- Conduct school and community outreach activities regarding a variety of health issues
- Plan and attend large-scale campus events (i.e. Get Yourself Tested Day, Health & Wellness Fair, etc.)
- Create health education outreach and teaching materials (i.e. curricula, workshop presentations, brochures, bulletins, flyers, etc.)
- Nutrition, physical fitness, and healthy lifestyle coaching
- Gender and sexuality education
- Puberty and sexual health education
- Birth control education and counseling
- STI/HIV prevention, testing, and education
- Healthy relationships education
$1,430 monthly living stipend
$2,500 yearly mileage stipend
$5,960 education award upon completion of term
Health care benefits through Symetra
Student loan forbearance for qualifying loans
Childcare assistance (if eligible)
Term of Service
This is a full time position (M-F 8:30am-5:00pm) offered through BAYAC AmeriCorps, a national service program. BAYAC AmeriCorps collaborates with over 20 agencies in over 70 schools and community-based organizations to serve youth and families in the San Francisco Bay Area. As part of AmeriCorps, BAYAC Members commit to a full-time (40 hours/week) year of service in the Bay Area’s most high-need communities, working to provide youth with opportunities for meaningful engagement, skill building, and emotional and social development. Members serve a minimum of 1,700 service hours over an 11 month period, and receive ongoing professional development and workforce training. For more information about the BAYAC AmeriCorps Program visit www.bayac.org.
We are currently recruiting 9 fulltime AmeriCorps Health Educators for our 2019-2020 program year.
Applications are due by Friday, June 14, 2019. Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis.
- Mid-June, 2019 Interviews for qualified applicants begin
- Mid-July, 2019 La Clínica paperwork process begins
- Mid-August, 2019 La Clínica Health Ed. Boot Camp begins
- Mid-July, 2020 Service end date
- At least 18 years old
- Able to serve full-time (40 hours/week) for 11 months
- U.S. citizen, U.S. national, or a lawful permanent resident of the United States
- Successfully complete a TB test and live scan/fingerprinting (upon hire)
- Have a strong commitment to service, respect, and interest in working with medically underserved communities
- Demonstrate abilities to work with diverse populations
- Have a desire to work with young people
- Experience working with young people required
- The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about health equity and social justice, and anyone who is considering a career in public health, medicine, social work, or mental/behavioral health.
- Spanish bilingual proficiency preferred
- 2 or 4-year college degree preferred
How to Apply:
Go to www.bayac.org and click on the “Apply Now!” button. Within the application, indicate “Preferred Placement Site: La Clínica.” If you have any questions, please contact Skye Timmons, La Clínica School-Based Health Education Supervisor, at email@example.com.
La Clínica de La Raza is an equal opportunity employer.
Persons of color and LGBTQ+ people are strongly encouraged to apply.